music monday :: misterwives

image via google

I'm one of those people who has such a long list of bands to listen to in my iPhone, I actually forget about half of them. My friend Brian told me about MisterWives a while back but I just got around to listening to them (when he reminded me like the good guy he is). The first time I heard Mandy's vocals, I geeked out a little. The girl can sing. She sounds like a cross between Ellie Goulding, Alaina Moore from Tennis, and at one point I heard a bit of Shakira in there. Really though, her sound is 100% her own. Every sequence of notes is put together beautifully and when she goes for it, she really goes for it. I was surprised at how controlled she is when she seemingly flies wildly through the high points of the music, but she knows exactly what she's doing.

The band as a whole is a super fun indie-dance experiment that I can only describe as awakening (seriously, they woke me up on my drive to work this morning). They bring something new to the table among other bands in their genre and I could listen to their latest album over and over again. It's expressive and happy and makes me never want to be sad again! Definitely good for a pick-me-up when you're feeling down, or to throw a random dance party with your girlfriends.

MisterWives is actually playing in DC this weekend (I can't make it, ugh), so if you have Friday night free, go see this show before they no longer play for $15! I promise it will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment