cinemagraphs.

Yesterday I was doing my usual "browse the web for blogs and random things", when I came across Ann Street Studio. It showcases the work of Jamie Beck and Kevin Burg, a husband and wife who coined the term "cinemagraph" in 2011. A cinemagraph is a still picture with a minimal moving element. My first thought was, "how is this different than a .gif?" It uses .gif formatting, but differs in that a still photograph is taken, then the creator composites the photographs (or video) into a seamless loop of sequential frames. This is done so that motion between exposures is perceived as a repeating or continued motion, in contrast with the stillness of the rest of the image (more info here).

These are seriously beautiful images and an awesome concept. I wish it were possible to do an art installation of this on the walls of my house! How cool would that be? That's actually not impossible, when you think about it. Who can make this happen for me? :)

Below are some of my favorites:

 

chloe980v2

byron615 

butter980

grace980 

There's something super magical about this. Check out Jamie and Kevin's site for more!

1 comment: