music monday :: new vinyl


In case you missed it, Record Store Day was this past Saturday! I had some very fortunate friends who were in Music City (the Nash) on that day, and I was jealous. But I went down to my local record shop and spent an hour or so combing the racks. Everyone was there fighting for new releases, but I went straight for the classics. Here's a recap of what I got & some fun facts:

U2 - War. Released in 1983, this album was the band's first number 1 album in the UK (it knocked out MJ's "Thriller"!)

The Clash - Combat Rock. Released in 1982, Kurt Cobain listed it in his top 50 albums of all time.

Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits. I have a thing for Greatest Hits albums. There's just something about hearing all the goodness in one straight shot. My favorites are "The Times They Are A-Changin'" and "Mr. Tambourine Man."

The Doors - Greatest Hits. Give me all the Jim Morrison. They released this album in 1980 when the movie "Apocalypse Now" came out, which got a brand new age group hooked on their music. Smart move.

The Best of Blondie. The album cover was shot on a rooftop in Manhattan in 1978.

The Beatles - "In Abbey Road." This was one of my more expensive purchases, but I couldn't leave it. It has 14 previously unreleased tracks (as of 1983) and it says this on the back: "The record you're holding is the edited soundtrack of "The Beatles In Abbey Road" show that took place in London Abbey Road Studios from July 18th to September 11th 1983. This is a limited edition of 1,500 numbered copies for Beatles fan club members."

Elvis - As Recorded at Madison Square Garden. Oh, I am such a sucker for a live album. I loved being transported back in time to a place where people lived for this music. It's magic to me to hear the clapping and cheering of a different era. The record is Elvis' June 10th 1972 performance.

Bonnie Tyler - Faster Than the Speed of Night. Don't judge me ;) I had to get Bonnie because I go around the house singing "Total Eclipse of the Heart" alllll the time. Just ask my roommate. I have a thing for the 80's, in case you couldn't tell.

Simon and Garfunkel - Sounds of Silence. Because... "The Sound of Silence." Forever obsessed with that track. Did you know that without the knowledge of Simon and Garfunkel, electric instruments and drums were overdubbed by Columbia Records staff producer Tom Wilson on June 15, 1965? I would have punched him in the face haha This new version was released as a single in September 1965. 

Stevie Nicks - Bella Donna. Stevie's my girl. I bet she never thought this album would blow up like it did. And I think it's cool that this record is also the first recording featuring her backing vocalists, Sharon Celani and Lori Perry, who still record and tour with Nicks today. That's an incredible gig.

Queen - A Night At The Opera. Gotta have Queen. With a title from a Marx brother's film and the most expensive record to be made at the time, it's always been something special. And Freddie Mercury wrote "Bohemian Rhapsody" on a phonebook.

The Lone Bellow - Self Titled. I treated myself to a new release with this one. I saw The Lone Bellow at an outdoor concert last summer when they were just getting popular. They have some awesome harmonies and I enjoy all of their tracks. Bluegrass-ish to a new level.

Death Cab for Cutie - The Open Door EP. I was excited to find a Death Cab album in the stacks! It was recorded during the "Narrow Stairs" times and released in 2009.

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours. I like an album with a story, and this one was made during some band tension. There's bound to be some tension when you're on your 11th album. Note to self: divorce will not end well if you're both in the band. Somehow they surpassed all of the drama and Rumours won a Grammy.

And there you have it! I'm excited for some windows-open, record-spinning spring days.


No comments:

Post a Comment