a real look.

This has been one of those weeks. The kind that brings you down no matter how much you try to feel better; the kind that leaves you discouraged. I haven't shared much about my work on this blog, but I think I'm ready to just get some of it out of my system. I was hoping to have happier news to share, but alas, I do not. (How's that for a depressing start?)

When I got this job almost a year ago (June), I was super excited. Good potential, way better pay, a role in a big, important project. The one thing nobody told us was that the project was going downhill. Bad management, loss of money, unhappy clients. Earlier this month, I was alerted that I would be laid off by the last week of May. That was not an official layoff, it was more like a head's up. Well, now it's the end of the month. And apparently, they still have no idea of what they're going to do with me. I come to work and pay for parking at 7 AM to sit at my desk and not be tasked. (If you know me, you know I hate to be at work and not working.) I'm getting no direction, even when I beg for it. I've applied to over 30 jobs in the last month, only to be rejected from a bunch and get no reply from the others. I had one interview that I was counting on, but didn't get hired. At this point, I almost wish I could be laid off because I'm not being utilized here. But you know-- life. Rent and car payments and health insurance. 

I don't write this so you will feel sorry for me. I write it as a very real look into what many young professionals have to deal with today. I write it for the people my age that are passionate and motivated, and want to have a good career. The ones that get a start somewhere and find out it's not going to last... more than once. The ones who begin to realize that we will never have the stability of a 30-year career in one company like our parents did. More than anything, this is helping me to see that between graduating in 2008 and now, I have not become a fan of the corporate world. I would like to do something different and more creative. I don't know if I will ever have the means to do that, or if anyone will give me the chance. But I do know one thing for sure: as crazy as my career has been thus far, a new opportunity always comes through in the end. And that's what I'll hold on to in this uncertainty.

No comments:

Post a Comment