what they wore :: makeup 101

I love reading other blogger's posts on their daily makeup routines. It's convinced me to buy or replace certain products more than once! There's just something about reading a from-the-heart post on makeup and knowing you're getting an honest opinion that does a girl good.


Since I get up at 6 AM for work every day, I have a fairly simple makeup routine. The most important part is moisturizing! Trust me, your face needs it. After that, I use primer to create a smoother face under my foundation. I use Aveeno Ultra-Calming Moisturizer and Elf Mineral Face Primer.


I have a slightly oily face, so anytime I apply eyeshadow, it either disappears or creases. I HATE THAT. So I started using Stay Don't Stray eye primer. BONUS: I use it as under eye and blemish concealer, too! I always put it on after I moisturize and do my eyes last so it has time to settle. Then I use my Elf Powder Brush to lightly apply Laura Mercier Mineral Powder (my color is Real Sand). I'm no longer a teenager so I don't have acne to cover up anymore, but I still need something to balance out my skin tone.


Blush is next. I've had this same compact for more years than I can count, and it still hasn't run out! Totally worth the money. It's NARS blush... pricey, but if you find something you love, they say to stick with it! I recently got the Elf Flawless Eyeshadow and I really like it so far. Normally I just layer a bit of gray on my lids, but if I go out on a weekend, I do the whole shebang. Each powder has an instruction imprinted on it: Crease, Lid, Liner, etc. Really cute.


Ignore how dirty this blush compact is... like I said, I've literally had it for years! The color is "Orgasm." That used to make me giggle, but it made sense when one of my magazines said it was "the color that looks good on everyone." I believe it!


To finish off my eyes, I currently use Bare Escentuals Buxom Mascara. I borrowed my friend's at her house one time and loved it. It worked so much better than my old mascara! I used to use Maybelline Volum' Express The Colossal, but the Buxom really fills out my lashes a lot more. It's on the pricier side, and I just read an article saying that most of your lash length/fullness has to do with the brush. So I may just save the wand and re-use it in a cheaper mascara when I run out to test that theory.


You wouldn't think the type of brush you use would be that important, but I have found that it makes a difference when trying to put on foundation. I used to use brushes that would shed like crazy, and I hated it. Little black hairs all over my face tickling me in the early morning was not my idea of fun! So after reading about the Elf brush, I made the switch. First of all, most Elf products are in the $3-$5 range. So that's a win. And this one doesn't shed at all while giving me even coverage. My blush brush is from Bare Escentuals back in the day when I used to use their foundation. It's a great brush that I haven't needed to replace, but again, Elf is awesome and I bet one of theirs would work just as well.




My daily lip wear is Burt's Bees all the time, around the clock. The grapefruit flavor is what I'm currently wearing, but I adore the pomegranate as well! I have been using Revlon Just Bitten balm stain in Lovesick when I go out on the weekends. I layer it over the Burt's Bees and I'm good to go! The stain lasts even after you feel like it's worn off (or the top layer has). For actual lipstick, I layer Bite Beauty Lip Primer (not pictured) underneath to keep it on longer and because my lips can be flaky.


So there you have it! Stay tuned for more WTW makeup posts in the future, and if you guys have posted your routine, share the link in the comments! I'd love to check it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment