the talk :: journal day 2

I'm behind on the Sometimes  Sweet journal prompts because of my vacation... but this is one that I definitely want to participate in! 

We all have songs that really mean something to us. Often just hearing it can take us right back to that place and we are able to re-experience the memory associated with the song. Sometimes good, sometimes bad, but either way music has the ability to really draw things out of us and evoke deep emotion. Choose a song that has a particular meaning to you. Tell the story of the memory associated with the song, sharing as much detail as you can. Take us there; let us experience it with you.

I have shared my story before about how my love of music came to be, and a lot of that has to do with my time in college and a friend of mine. "Hold Nothing Back" by Copeland evokes such strong memories for me. It was first introduced to me by a friend who is an incredible musician. He played a huge part in showing me different kinds of music, and my taste in music completely changed in that. 

My fondest memory of this song is my friend and I sitting on a hill in our college courtyard, him playing the song on an acoustic guitar and me feeling like I had to know this band that wrote such a great piece of music. It sounds strange, but it really did pave the way for me to find myself as a musician and be influenced by something other than pop radio. It's a special memory for me. The chords, the lyrics, the feeling I get when I remember sitting on that hill... I feel like it was the beginning of a journey for me. Now I find myself writing a music blog, writing and recording my own music, and playing music for other people. That all has to start somewhere, and for me, it started on a grassy hill with a good friend.



No comments:

Post a Comment