throwback thursday :: journal day 3

This is the second journal of the week in effort to get caught up with Danielle's prompts... some people blog while on vacation, but apparently I'm not one of them! :) 

They say hindsight is 20/20, and with good reason- looking back at something always gives us a better view. We're often able to really see how our choices and decisions then shaped our today, and examine what we would have done differently given the chance. When looking back though, we often look way back, but for this exercise stay a little closer to present time and look back just 12 months. If you could go back just one year, what would you tell yourself? What advice would you offer about everything you've experienced?

Oh, my gosh. Nearly a year ago (10 months currently), I was at my old job and had no idea how my work life got so out of control. If there was one thing I could change, it would be that environment. I was there for three years, and the first two were fine. The third took a turn for the worst. There was a girl there that made life hell for me for personal reasons, and my boss did nothing to help me. I was severely underpaid. Not to mention the office environment was completely unhealthy, and I didn't even realize that until I left. Leaving was such a bittersweet thing since I had been there for several years (two of which were not bad at all) and did have a lot of great people in my life as a result. If I could go back, I would tell myself that no job is worth making you have an unsatisfying life, and no one should ever have the right to disrespect you and get away with it. I would offer myself advice about dealing with people, and about standing up for yourself even if it's to your superiors. But all bad roads lead to a good one if you look for it, because today I am getting paid a lot more to do a job with a title I actually like in a much better place.

And on that note... I used to listen to this song a lot at my old job. Music gets you through.



No comments:

Post a Comment